Monday, July 12, 2010

KCAT CAN: Life is the Reason

My 2nd column:




Life is the reason
by Maria Kathrina Lopez Yarza
July 12, 2010


My friend Armin texted me the other night with this: “Everything has a reason di ba? Minsan hindi lang dumadating kaagad, di ba?”


I asked him why he was asking that and he said he was just in deep thought about things.

Indeed, everything happens for a reason and we get to find out these reasons as we go on with our lives. We discover that everything is connected.

Even before experiencing the things I’ve been dealing with now, I already believe that God has a purpose why these things have to happen.

While my mom was cleaning the house, she found the reflection notebook I had for my Religion class in senior high school. I read the notes I wrote down 10 years ago and was really amazed that I had the same faith, beliefs, and attitude in life then as I have now. In myself, I have always known that this is how God want me to be. God didn’t give me NF2 without any reason.

If I weren’t sick, would I have something inspiring to share in this column? Would I get to know the friends I have now who I met as I go through this journey to wellness? Would I experience the happy memories I have now? Would I be this strong spiritually, mentally and emotionally? Would I appreciate life more?

God doesn’t give us something we won’t be able to handle. He will never ever abandon us. Let me share you this story I got from my friend, Farida’s blog:

* * *

THE BAMBOO AND THE FERN

One day a man decided to quit. He quit his job, his relationship, his spirituality.

He wanted to quit his life. Then he went to the woods to have one last talk with God.

“God”, he asked, “Can you give me one good reason not to quit?” His answer surprised him.

“Look around”, God said. “Do you see the fern and the bamboo?”

“Yes”, the man replied.

God continued, “When I planted the fern and the bamboo seeds, I took very good care of them. I gave them light. I gave them water. The fern quickly grew from the earth. Its brilliant green covered the floor.

Yet nothing came from the bamboo seed.

But I did not quit on the bamboo.

On the second year, the fern grew more vibrant and plentiful. And again, nothing came from the bamboo seed. But I did not quit on the bamboo. On year three, there was still nothing from the bamboo seed. But I would not quit. On year four, again, there was nothing from the bamboo seed. I would not quit.

Then on the fifth year, a tiny sprout emerged from the earth. Compared to the fern it was seemingly small and insignificant.

But just six months later the bamboo rose to over 100 feet tall. It had spent the five years growing roots. Those roots made it strong and gave it what it needed to survive. I would not give any of my creations a challenge it could not handle.”

He asked the man, “Did you know, my child, that all this time you have been struggling, you have actually been growing roots”. I would not quit on the bamboo. I will never quit on you.”

“Don’t compare yourself to others.” God said. “The bamboo had a different purpose than the fern. Yet they both make the forest beautiful. Your time will come”, God continued. “You will rise high”

“How high should I rise?” the man asked. “How high will the bamboo rise?”

God asked in return. “As high as it can?” he questioned. “Yes.” God replied, “Give me glory by rising as high as you can.”

The man left the forest and brought back this story.

* * *

I was really inspired by this story because I too have experienced this same kind of God’s love. He never turned His back on me. I know it was His plan from the beginning. I was born with zero respiration due to umbilical cord coiled around my neck, I was revived by the doctors, and God never left me. I was one year old when boiling water from the respiratory inhalator accidentally spilled on my arm and part of my body. God didn’t forsake me. I would often fall on the ground, the stairs, and bump my head on the wall, I was accident prone, but God never left me.

I was afflicted by dengue fever when I was nine years old, and typhoid fever when I was 14, but God was with me in my hospital room and stayed by my side all throughout. I had a couple of minor surgeries due to excision of benign tumors, but I never felt any fear while I was in the operating room because I know so well that God was with me.

When I was diagnosed with NF2 in 2004 and learned that I have brain tumors, I never felt a single fear because I already knew that God would take care of me like. He always does.

I am very grateful despite and in spite of the difficulties in my life. Every breath, every step, every little sound that I hear, every person in my life I am thankful for -- all of them have been a big part of who I am now. God never planned to let go of my hand. God’s word is my medicine and I am healed. Try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...