Monday, June 09, 2014

KCAT CAN: A test of faith

A test of faith

I recently had a long, deep and meaningful conversation with a friend. She shared her problems with me and I helped her realize what she should do in order to solve it.

When she was finally enlightened with a solution, she asked me, “How about you? Do you have any problems, too?” I told her that I have my share of problems though I can’t enumerate it because it will take time to recall all of it. Besides, I don’t really think about my problems. I would always turn my focus on the solution, rather than sticking with the problem. Some people might think that I’m in denial, but I’m not; and I’m sure about it. Life is full of problems and I’m not exempted from having my own share. It’s just sad whenever we focus on our problems and tend to forget that we still have a life to live. We don’t need to avoid our problems; we just need to handle it well and not let it take over our life.

American Christian pastor and author Rick Warren wrote, “When you stay focused on your purpose, not your problem, you can be happy even when life seems to be falling apart.”


I’m sick, I can’t walk, I can’t hear, I don’t have a clear vision, I can’t do what I used to anymore, and so on. These are some of the many problems that I encounter every day but it doesn’t bother me anymore because God is bigger than my problems and He has been helping me through it.



A few days after my birthday gift-giving last month, I found myself in a “test of faith” once again. With the overwhelming support that we’ve received, what started as a small project eight years ago has become so big that more and more people are looking forward to it every year. It had me thinking that with my limitations, will I be able to continue with it? Of course, I want to. I really, really want to, but it also means that I have to depend on my loved ones to do all of the leg work because I can’t do anything but sit in front of my computer. I know it’s not a burden for them but I couldn’t help but feel that way. I almost gave up on it, though I know that giving up was against my will. I kept on praying and told God how sorry I was for doubting myself. I pleaded and cried for help, and He answered me the next day.

SEIZE THE DAY!

I came across the movie “Dead Poets Society” and decided to watch it since our internet connection wasn’t working at that time. When Mr. Keating (played by Robin Williams) said the words “Carpe Diem,” it suddenly hit me. I was reminded that I should seize the day, as well. I should stop worrying and end my fears and just live for the moment, just like what I’ve been doing. I pressed the pause button and stared blankly on the computer’s monitor and kept on saying, “Lord, thank you!” My prayers were answered!

Days had passed and I couldn’t help but thank God for making me feel His greatness once again. So I told Him, “Lord, sila din po sana.” I was asking Him to touch the lives of others the same way He did to me because it was really amazing! As they say, the more we use our faith, the more it becomes bigger and the more God is able to bless our lives. With my encounters with Him, I feel so blessed!

God tests us to know what’s in our hearts. Of course, He already knows what’s in it but he is testing us for our own benefit. He wants us to know how strong we are and what we are capable of doing. He will never allow us to be tested beyond what we are able to handle, anyway. God helps us when we show Him that we are willing to help ourselves; we just have to put our trust in Him.

There are many verses and stories in the Bible that talk about test of faith by God and James 1:2-4 says it all. “Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.”

I’ve actually written this column for myself; to remind me of my stronger faith, and with it, I can keep on doing all of my heart’s desires which are sharing my life and touching lives. And most of all, I should never ever give up. In the end, our attitude towards life depends on our faith − faith in ourselves, faith in humanity and a bigger faith in God.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...